Thursday, August 19, 2010

Evicted and being stalked by the landlord!

I am in a funk, we got evicted from our house. We finally got current on our rent, now this?? The reason? Your guess is as good as mine, but I can tell you what has transpired in the last week......

Last WINTER, our roof started leaking, therefore it caused a "bubble" in the ceiling. Eventually there came a BIG GAPING HOLE! Our landlady had the roof leak fixed, but never addressed the hole at the time. She did call my cousin (he is a drywall finisher/contractor) and he gave her 2 estimates for his labor charges, $100 to patch the hole, $300+ to redo the ceiling. She told him to just patch it, but she never called him back to do it. So we went all winter with "the hole" and cold air pouring out. (we just moved the babies to another room, because the hole was right over their cribs, if they were in bed when it fell it would have hit them, closed that door to their now play room and put a towel against the door). Believe me, it sucked!

Fast forward to last week. It was almost 100 degrees outside for weeks and hot air was POURING into that room, my a/c ran nonstop for days and the whole house was sweltering (and it was at least 30 degrees hotter in there). After trying to patch it ourselves with duct tape and cardboard we had to cave in and ask her to fix it, AGAIN (the tape/cardboard kept melting and falling down). When we called her she told us to tell him to go ahead and fix it. So we did. Then she called him herself and told him to call her when he was done and she would come look at it and pay him. Done.

He made 3 trips to fix it, put on a 2nd and 3rd coat of "mud" and on the last day we called her. She asked what he did, (um he patched it) then she asked how much (um $100. just like he told you months ago, and we told you before he started). Then she went ape-shit (on the bf who called her, who is soft-spoken and would never argue with a woman)! She basically cussed him out, said that people must think she is a "damn fool, a patch job isn't worth that kind of money" (um, now you way it?) and she went on and on with her choice words. Then she said she was going call my cousin and discuss it with him (ok, that is who you should be talking to anyway). So she calls him and goes through it with him, he tells he that she AGREED to it before he did it. She again tells him she will pay him after she looks at it.

The next day she comes to look at it. She goes off again, and she was going off on what a horrible job it was (but she was complaining before she even saw it, so I don't think anything would have suited her). That was her mistake, because I was face to face with her, and I will not tolerate abuse from anyone (w/o getting my 2 cents in, LOL). I try to explain to her that she worked this out with him months ago, and he did what she told him too. I also said that we HAD to have it fixed because the hot air was pouring in (she called me a LIAR). She said that heat rises and there was no way hot air was coming in. WTF? If there is a big gaping hole in the ceiling air isn't going to come in?? I felt the air, my bf did, my Dad did, my cousin did, we ALL did. Ok, anyway, after that I was PISSED. How dare she say that. So then I said that I could make a list of everything wrong with the place if she wanted me to, because we have NEVER had her fix anything before, but this time we HAD to. She said "you do that!" Then asked me if I was going to pay him for his work. I said no YOU are. Blah, Blah, Blah, we went round and round. Then she kept calling my cousin by his last name saying, "Well I am going to go pay Mr. LastName, he'll get his money don't you worry, Mr. Last name will get paid" over and over. Then she told her husband to, "come on let's go, I'm ready to get out of here, I said let's go!"

The next morning the bf answers the door. It was her. She asked him if we had made our list yet (the one listing everything wrong with the place), he told her not yet. Then she hands him an envelope and says, "well here is one for you." It was an eviction notice. She is evicting us because we asked her to fix a hole so our electric bill wouldn't be sky high. She doesn't remember when the bf did work for her FOR FREE, cleaned out gutters, hung screen doors, moved stuff for her, etc.. She wants the tenant to pay for work done to her house!!!

She never paid the cousin either. So he calls her. Then she cusses him out too, but tells him if he wants $ to come right now. So him and the bf go to her house (bf had to show him where she lived). Then when they get there she proceeds to cuss them both. Tells cousin that he is ROBBING her, etc. Tells the bf, "you better keep your ass in the car, you were there and LET him do it." Then she started calling me a LIAR again saying there is NO WAY hot air was blowing in. (I felt sorry for bf, he didn't say a word to her, he would never disrespect his elders, or a woman.... I wish he would have!). She even wrote on the check she gave him, "Unsatisfactory job, unprofessional, not worth the $." and said she was calling the BBB tomorrow to report him (for a job she agreed to pay him on and agreed with the price???).

Later that same night, she comes over here. Drives to the end of the road, turns around, parks her car facing our house and turns her headlights off! She sat there for an hour. I have no idea what she was doing. My cousin came over. Then my Dad walked down from his house across the street. She finally left... Driving real slow, just staring at all of us. Dad thought she was going to try to do something to us (she really seemed that crazy)!! I have never seen anything like this, or heard of it either for that matter. She has lost her damn mind. Now we have to move. Mom and Dad have to move too because they rent from her too (she didn't evict them, but how can they stay after all she has done to us?).

P.S. Dad had her look at his a/c the other day because it wasn't working. The man came to fix it, charged her $95. she was MAD at him, saying he was her friend and shouldn't charge her that much. What does she expect a professional to charge? She can't get stuff for free!

Doesn't a landlord have to have just cause to evict us? I mean like us owing her money (which we don't, because we caught it up when Satan paid part of his rearages), or destruction of property, or being loud, or anything besides us trying to fix this place!!!!!!

Oh well, we are looking for a new place. Hopefully we will find one soon before she kills us!! SLUM LORD!

4 comments:

  1. As horrible as it sounds, you're best out from under her. Next time she sits down your street in a threatening manner, call the cops and tell them that there is a suspicious vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't sound like she has a legal foot to stand on to evict you but I agree with the others - you are better off outta there! I hope you can find a better place with a sane landlord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to update a little and say that we are moving. We are hoping to find an awesome place (hopefully cheaper).

    Funny, this lady used to be so nice... We would take the kiddos other there to get candy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great!! That lady has gone nuts!!

    ReplyDelete

Give it to me straight from the heart.....